For years it has seemed as though New York Comic Con has been just a few steps behind the larger convention, San Diego Comic Con. However, New York Comic Con may have just surpassed San Diego this year. It was jam-packed with both programming and attendees and was, in my opinion, the most successful one so far. Here are just some of my favorite moments:
1. Bad Times at the El Royale — While this movie isn’t your typical “Comic Con” movie, I thought it was great they chose to bring it. While one of the most frustrating parts about conventions is the waiting or the lottery system, there’s always a lucky few who enjoy it. Those who were fortunate enough to get to watch an early screening of the film were impressed and ecstatic.
2. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse — I will admit I have been hyped about this since San Diego Comic Con, but Marvel once again managed to outdo themselves. After a surprise screening of the first 35 minutes of the movie, fans learned a lot about the upcoming film. I can not wait to watch it when it comes out this December.
3. Twilight 10 Year Anniversary Panel — This one makes me feel about as old as Edward Cullen. While neither the Twilight books or movies are the best pieces of media we all once consumed, there is no denying they shaped a big part of fandom culture. Watching people get together and embrace that aspect during the panel, featuring Kellan Lutz, Jackson Rathbone, Catherine Hardwicke and Edi Gathegi (I haven’t typed all of those names together in so long), was pretty iconic.
4. Marvel Rising — I can not get enough of this. The cast is adorable and I can’t reiterate enough how much I think more people should be paying attention to this series. In the panels and press rooms the topic of toxic masculinity was spoken about, and HELLO female superheroes. This is everything you’ve been waiting for.
5. Titans — NYCC played host to the World Premiere of Titans, followed by a Q & A session featuring stars Brenton Thwaites, Teagan Croft, Anna Diop, Ryan Potter, Minka Kelly, and Alan Ritchson as well as some of the show’s executive producers. This did not disappoint. I can not wait for more episodes to air.
Did I forget something? Leave a comment to let me know what excited you the most at this year’s NYCC.