Since 2011, the Los Angeles Film Festival has stood out amongst other film festivals for its emphasis on diversity and its spotlight on minority filmmakers. This year is no different. The festival will take place Thursday, September 20th – Friday, September 28th. The event typically takes place in June, but the new fall schedule seems even more jam-packed than previous years.
The final lineup is as follows:
U.S. Fiction Competition (7)
Original voices with distinct visions from emerging and established American independent filmmakers.
- Banana Split, dir. Benjamin Francis Kasulke, USA, World Premiere
- In Reality, dir. Ann Lupo, co-dirs. Esteban Pedraza & Aaron Pryka, USA, California Premiere
- Olympia, dir. Gregory Dixon, USA, World Premiere
- Simple Wedding, dir. Sara Zandieh, USA, World Premiere
- Softness of Bodies, dir. Jordan Blady, USA/Germany, World Premiere
- This Teacher, dir. Mark Jackson, USA, World Premiere
- The Wrong Todd, dir. Rob Schulbaum, USA, World Premiere
Documentary Competition (10)
Compelling, character-driven non-fiction films from the U.S. and around the world.
- Behind the Curve, dir. Daniel J. Clark, USA, US Premiere
- Facing the Dragon, dir. Sedika Mojadidi, USA/Afghanistan, West Coast Premiere
- False Confessions, dir. Katrine Philp, Denmark, North American Premiere
- Hillbilly, dirs. Sally Rubin, Ashley York, USA, LA Premiere
- Mamacita, dir. José Pablo Estrada Torrescano, Mexico/Germany, US Premiere
- Moroni for President, dir. Saila Huusko, Jasper Rischen, USA, LA Premiere
- Same God, dir. Linda Midgett, USA, World Premiere
- The Silence of Others, dirs. Almudena Carracedo, Robert Bahar, USA/Spain, West Coast Premiere
- Stammering Ballad, dir. Nan Zhang, China, North American Premiere
- Wrestling Ghosts, dir. Ana Joanes, USA, World Premiere
World Fiction Competition (7)
Unique fiction films from around the world by emerging and established filmmakers, especially curated for LA audiences.
- Border, dir. Ali Abbasi, Sweden, California Premiere
- The Cotton Wool War, dirs. Cláudio Marques, Marilia Hughes, Brazil, US Premiere
- The Day I Lost My Shadow, dir. Soudade Kaadan, France/Lebanon/Qatar/Syrian Arab Republic, US Premiere
- Heaven Without People, dir. Lucien Bourjeily, Lebanon, LA Premiere
- Microhabitat, dir. Jeon Go-Woon, South Korea, West Coast Premiere
- Socrates, dir. Alex Moratto, Brazil, World Premiere
- Tower. A Bright Day., dir. Jagoda Szelc, Poland/Czech Republic, LA Premiere
LA Muse (10)
Fiction and documentary films that capture the spirit of Los Angeles.
- The Advocates, dir. Rémi Kessler, USA, World Premiere
- El Chicano, dir. Ben Hernandez Bray, USA, World Premiere
- Fire on the Hill, dir. Brett Fallentine, USA, World Premiere
- Funke, dir. Gabriel Taraboulsy, USA, World Premiere
- Making Montgomery Clift, dir. Robert A. Clift, Hillary Demmon, USA, World Premiere
- Saint Judy, dir. Sean Hanish, USA, World Premiere
- Solace, dir. Tchaiko Omawale, USA, World Premiere
- Staycation, dir. Tanuj Chopra, USA, World Premiere
- Stuntman, dir. Kurt Mattila, USA, World Premiere
- We the Coyotes, dirs. Hanna Ladoul, Marco La Via, USA, North American Premiere
From the bizarre to the horrifying, these are films to watch after dark.
- The Dead Center, dir. Billy Senese, USA, World Premiere
- Deep Murder, dir. Nick Corirossi, USA, World Premiere
- Ghost Light, dir. John Stimpson, USA, World Premiere
- Head Count, dir. Elle Callahan, USA, World Premiere
- Spell, dir. Brendan Walter, USA, World Premiere
- Thriller, dir. Dallas Jackson, USA, World Premiere
Short Films (41)
From over 3,100 submissions, the short films selected represent 14 countries. Short films are shown before features and as part of six short film programs. Shorts will compete for juried prizes for fiction and documentary shorts, as well as an Audience Award for Best Short Film.
Episodes: Indie Series from the Web (10)
This showcase of independently crafted web series celebrates rising creators whose work and subjects are innovative and unfiltered.
- Avant-Guardians, dir. Clarence Williams IV, USA
- Flatbush Misdemeanors, dirs. Dan Perlman, Kevin Iso, USA
- Fresh, dir. Grant Scicluna, Australia
- Kiki and Kitty, dir. Catriona Mackenzie, Australia
- Otis, dir. Alexander Etseyatse, USA
- Pedal & Paint, dir. Bradley Smith, USA
- Psusy, dirs. Duckworth, Jaya Beach-Robertson, New Zealand
- Revenge Tour, dir. Andrew Carter, USA
- Robits, dir. Christopher Parks, USA
- Tracy Buckles, dir. Robin Nystrom, USA
Passes for the festival are on sale here. Stay caught up with our ongoing coverage!