The entire cast of season 27 of Dancing with the Stars was officially announced earlier today on Good Morning America.
The pairings for the new season are as follows:
- Nancy McKeon and Val Chmerkovskiy
- Joe Amabile and Jenna Johnson
- DeMarcus Ware and Lindsay Arnold
- Juan Pablo Di Pace and Cheryl Burke
- Bobby Bones and Sharna Burgess
- Danelle Umstead and Artem Chigvintsev
- Alexis Ren and Alan Bersten
- Mary Lou Retton and Sasha Farber
- John Schneider and Emma Slater
- Nikki Glaser and Gleb Savchenko
- Milo Manheim and Witney Carson
- Evanna Lynch and Keo Motsepe
- Tinashe and Brandon Armstrong
Now, as I typically do with each cast announcement post, I add in my thoughts about who gets announced and the pairings themselves. Here’s 12 things I think about this season’s cast:
- I’m only familiar with 5 out of the 13 celebrities and I like to consider myself pretty in-the-know about pop culture. To say I was immediately underwhelmed is an understatement.
- I do, however, really love the cast of pros that they’ve put together. It should make for a strong season choreography-wise at least.
- Oh, Grocery Store Joe. I still kind of find it unreal that a guy who was eliminated on night one of The Bachelorette went on to not only land a spot on Bachelor in Paradise but also Dancing With The Stars; but honestly, good for him! I don’t think Joe will be the greatest dancer, but I imagine him to last at least a couple of weeks due to loyal Bachelor Nation viewers.
- Alexis Ren is a model who rose to fame on Instagram. Now, I’m not personally familiar with her, but I think it’s interesting that DWTS is going back and trying their hand with an “influencer.” I thought we’d for sure have had more influencers as contestants by now, but the first, and only, one we’ve ever had was Bethany Mota back in season 19 and social media has changed so much since then. Word on Twitter is that she has dance experience so I’ll be curious to see if that carries over to the show and how long she sticks around.
- I freaking love Bobby Bones and I’m so excited to see him on the dance floor. I’m not sure how he’ll do, but his large fan-base will probably get him pretty far. His personality will also make for some pretty epic video packages.
- I have faith that Keo and Evanna won’t be eliminated first. #JusticeForKeo
- Milo Manheim was actually introduced on GMA yesterday, and he’s adorable. He’s got a great personality and seems determined to be successful at this. Those are the two qualities it takes to win me over in this competition, so expect me to be smitten with him after week one.
- Danelle Umstead is a blind, Paralympic alpine skier who competed in the Winter Paralympics in Vancouver in 2010, Sochi in 2014 and Pyeongchang in 2018. We’ve had other Paralympians on the show before, but we’ve never had a blind competitor. I have no doubt Artem will handle working with Danelle with nothing but grace and I’m excited to see what beautiful stories they are able to tell through dance.
- Juan Pablo Di Pace seems like an obvious contender for the mirrorball trophy. If you’ve ever seen him on Fuller House, you know I’m referring to his natural ability. This might be Cheryl Burke’s best shot to win the mirrorball since she was partnered with William Levy in season 14.
- DeMarcus Ware is our token football player this season. At 36 years old, DeMarcus is still young, so I would expect him to move pretty well and go pretty far in the competition.
- It didn’t matter who newly promoted pro Brandon was paired with, I was going to root for that coupling. I think he’s adorable and a super talented dancer; I’m glad he was promoted this season. But I’m conflicted about rooting for this pairing due to Tinashe’s previous dance experience. In the video for her song, “Player”, we see her doing some ballroom and it seems like she has what it takes to go far. However, with this show, dance experience really doesn’t mean anything as we’ve seen super talented dancers get eliminated in the middle of the season before. So I’m still rooting for them, but I’m hesitant to get too attached.
- My early guess is that the finale will at least include Tinashe/Brandon and Juan Pablo/Cheryl.
Dancing With The Stars Season 27 premieres September 24th at 8/7c on ABC.