Another category that I don’t normally get to see the nominations for is live-action shorts. As I did the animated ones, I figured what better way to get more in depth with the Oscars than by checking these out as well. Unfortunately I found it impossible to get anything more than the trailer for these, so although I’m more educated this year (I know what they’re about!) it’s not as though I’ve actually seen them.
- Buzkashi Boys focusses on Afghanistan’s national sport of Buzkashi, a violent form of horse polo involving a dead goat. Another coming of age story, this time for two friends trying to discover their dreams. With emotion comes power, and this short film looks to have so much emotion packed into it. I would not be surprised if this were to win. Check out the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHdG1b1y89M
- Curfew is the story of Richie. While at his darkest point he looks after his estranged sister’s daughter, Sophia who begins to make quite the impact. I really wish I could see all of this. There is so much I feel I could connect to in this and I’m so curious what sort of an impact Sophia makes on Richard. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAVg17luqc
- Dood van een Schaduw (Death of a Shadow)is an intriguing tale of a soldier in WWI, Nathan, who died but has been given a second chance through a collector taking his shadow. As he tries to find Sarah, his love, jealousy pulls him under. Although interesting it also seems very bizarre. It might be overreaching to have such a seemingly complex story in a short film like this but then again, it might be best to only let it have this short moment. Because of the strangeness of this one I wouldn’t be surprised if it pulled out a win but I won’t be voting for it on my fake-ballot. Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEt1e-g1vLs
- Asad is the coming of age story of a young boy struggling to survive his war-torn country, Somalia. Here’s the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrLKldkxywQ
- Henry is an aging concert pianist goes in search of his wife Maria after she goes missing. I haven barely been able to find any information about this film unfortunately.
What do you think about the trailers? Which is your favourite?