Exciting news for Sturgill Simpson fans! For those who have been anxiously awaiting new music from the psychedelic blue-grass philosopher, have no fear because new music will be coming sooner than expected. In an exclusive interview with Billboard, the new HBO series Vinyl announced the theme song for the show was recorded by Sturgill Simpson called, “Sugar Daddy”.
Vinyl is set in 1970’s New York and follows record label president, Richi Finestra (Bobby Cannavale), through the sex-and drug riddled music business at the dawn of punk, disco, and hop-hop. From Executive Producers Martin Scorceses, Mick Jagger, and Terence Winter, the series also stars Olivia Wilde, Ray Romano, Ato Essandoh, Max Casella, P.J. Byrne, J.C. MacKenzie, Birgitte Hjort Sørensen, Juno Temple, Jack Quaid, Paul Ben-Victor, and James Jagger who plays the lead singer of fictional band Nasty Bits.
Vinyl’s Music supervisor Randall Poster elaborated on why Simpson’s song was chosen as the theme saying, “we cast a wide net to find the right tone… It had to serve a larger purpose than something that was just episodic…It’s not that it serves as a narrative. Sturgill just captured this spirit of rock and roll. It feels classic and contemporary.”
The news of Sturgill Simpson releasing of “Sugar Daddy” should hopefully tide his fans over until the release of his next album. Simpson recently shared with GQ that his new album is already finished, but has no plans on releasing it just yet in order to take some time to spend time with his family. In his interview with GQ, Simpson states, “What’s next is already finished, I don’t want to put it out just yet, because I know I’m just going to have to turn around and do what I just did all over again. Quite honestly, I need about six months at home with my family.”
You’ll be able to hear Simpson’s track and the rest of the soundtrack titled, Vinyl: Music From the HBO Original Series – Volume 1, when it’s released on February 14.
- Ty Taylor – “The World Is Yours”
- David Johansen – “Personality Crisis”
- Kaleo – “No Good”
- Sturgill Simpson – “Sugar Daddy” (Theme from Vinyl)
- Ruth Brown – “Mama He Treats Your Daughter Mean”
- Otis Redding – “Mr. Pitiful”
- Dee Dee Warwick – “Suspicious Minds”
- Mott the Hoople – “All The Way From Memphis”
- David Johansen – “Stranded In The Jungle”
- Chris Kenner – “I Like It Like That”
- Ty Taylor – “Cha Cha Twist”
- The Jimmy Castor Bunch – “It’s Just Begun”
- Soda Machine – “Want Ads”
- The Meters – “Hand Clapping Song”
- Soda Machine – “Slippin’ Into Darkness”
- Edgar Winter – “Frankenstein”
- Nasty Bits – “Rotten Apple”
- Foghat – “I Just Want To Make Love To You”